We are delighted to put out a call to journalists, campaigners and academics to attend our new FIVE-DAY financial investigative journalism and data security training course at City University, London.
The dates for our next training will be:
Monday 17 September 2017 – Friday 21 September 2018
You do not need to have a financial background to apply but we consider it important when selecting candidates to see evidence of your investigative experience. Class instructions will take place in English.
Over a week, you will be shown how to investigate corporate accounts, offshore activity and corporate corruption. We will show you where to find documents, how to analyse them and other practical tools to help uncover financial secrecy.
A combination of guidance from senior practitioners and a workshop approach will give you the basis to investigate financial corruption as well as offering the opportunity to network with other journalists and activists.
For the first time, this course will include a hands-on data security module by Free Press Unlimited, as part of the new MoneyTrail consortium which also includes Journalismfund.eu and Oxfam Novib.
The financial investigation section of our course aims to help participants understand:
- the building blocks of the offshore world
- how to access and interpret company accounts
- where to access other company information
- the methodology behind the groundbreaking tax avoidance investigations into Google, SAB Miller and Vodafone – by the journalists who conducted them
- how to investigate and report corruption stories
- the steps required to keep safe and