The Lacuna Fund aims to make its funding accessible to as many organizations as possible in the AI for social good space and cultivate capacity and emerging organizations in the field.
To be eligible for funding, organizations must:
- Be either a non-profit entity, research institution, for-profit social enterprise, or a team of such organizations. Individuals must apply through an institutional sponsor. Partnerships are welcome but only the lead applicant will receive funds.
- Have a mission supporting societal good, broadly defined.
- Have all necessary national or other approvals to conduct proposed research. The approval process may be conducted in parallel with grant application, if necessary. Approval costs, if any, are the responsibility of the applicant.
- Have the technical capacity to conduct dataset labeling, creation, expansion, and/or maintenance.
- Be sufficiently stable to ensure the sustainability of the dataset or have arrangements with an organization of sufficient stability.
If an RFP below does not match your substantive focus, please join our mailing list at the bottom of this page to receive updates as new RFPs are released.
Applications for open RFPs are only accepted through the applicant portal. The portal requires you to create an account to access and manage your application. More information on how to create an account and access the portal can be found on SurveyMonkey Apply’s website.
13 July 2020 – 3 September 2020
Labeled Datasets for Agriculture in Sub-Saharan Africa
This request for proposals will fund labeled agricultural datasets for machine learning in sub-Saharan Africa, whether referenced to earth observation (EO) data or related to other aspects of the crop and animal agricultural system.
A full copy of the RFP, including more details on potential areas of funding, eligibility, and selection criteria, is here.
See a budget template for reference here.
Applications are accepted through the application portal here.
- RFP Posted Publicly on Lacuna Fund Website: 13 July 2020
- Question and Answer Deadline: 27 July 2020
- Answers Posted: 3 August 2020
- Applications Due: 3 September 2020
Question and Answer Period: All questions related to the RFP should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Agriculture RFP 2020 Question” in the subject line. Questions submitted by 27 July will be de-identified and answered publicly by 3 August on the Lacuna Fund website in a document posted here.
(August 3, 2020) Please see the Q&A here.
Additional resources from the AI4D Webinar on Lacuna Fund on 31 July:
- Webinar recording (English)
- Webinar recording (French)
- Presentation: Introducing Lacuna Fund
- Presentation: Labeled Datasets for Agriculture in Sub-Saharan Africa
Please note that for this request for proposals, applicants should:
- Be an organization headquartered in Africa or have a substantial partnership with organization(s) headquartered in Africa.
For more information please open this link